At the August
2019 AGM, members voted to make substantial changes to the way in which the
annual conference and journal are operated, with the following three motions
1. Authors of papers published in the journal are not required to
present their work at the Society’s annual conference, and presenters at the
conference are not required to publish their work in the journal.
2. The journal will be published in freely accessible online format
3. At least one author must be a member of the NZPPS and authors of
accepted papers will be required to pay a publication fee to cover cost of
layout & publication.
So what does
this mean in reality?
- People wanting to present a talk or a poster at the
conference will need to submit an abstract using the online form which will be
available at https://nzpps.org/abstracts.
The deadline for abstracts in 2020 is 15 March.
- Abstracts will be reviewed by the Executive Committee
and successful candidates will be informed by 8 May.
- Abstracts will be collated into an Abstract booklet.
Printed copies of this booklet will be available at the conference and an
online version will be published after the conference.
- Authors of papers accepted by New Zealand Plant
Protection will be automatically eligible for a presentation at the
conference if they wish.
- At least one author must be a member of the NZPPS.
- Authors no longer need to submit an abstract to the
journal ahead of their manuscript.
- Authors can submit manuscripts at any time of the
- Poster abstracts will no longer be
published in the journal.
- There are no longer any page charges.
Instead, in 2020, authors will be required to pay an article processing fee of
NZ$420 +GST if their manuscript is accepted. Where the first author is a
student currently enrolled at a New Zealand tertiary education institution, the
fee will be NZ$350 +GST.
- Papers will not be published until
the correct fee has been paid.
- Each paper will be published online at https://journal.nzpps.org with page numbers and a unique doi once it is ready.
What you need to do:
- Write your 300-word abstract and submit it at https://nzpps.org/abstracts
by 15 March 2020
- Download the New Zealand Plant Protection
manuscript template, write your paper and submit it to the Journal as soon as it
- cite all relevant NZPP papers in any manuscript you
write for any journal; and
- share the link or doi (not the pdf) of each of your
NZPP papers with colleagues, on ResearchGate and on other websites.
Feel free to
contact NZPPS Secretary Jenny Taylor at email@example.com
if you have any questions.
Dr Eirian Jones & Dr Ruth Falshaw