NZPPS Research Scholarship
A primary objective of The New Zealand Plant Protection Society is to pool and exchange information on the biology of weeds, invertebrate and vertebrate pests, pathogens and beneficial organisms, and methods for modifying their effects. As part of this objective, the Society has established a trust fund to support the New Zealand Plant Protection Society Research Scholarship. This Scholarship is to encourage research in relevant disciplines (entomology, plant pathology, weed science, zoology, ecology, and plant protection sciences), on topics relating to control of pests, pathogens and/or weeds in primary production (pastoral and arable agriculture, horticulture, forestry) or the natural or human environments. Scholarship applications from students at a New Zealand university or students registered in other recognised New Zealand tertiary institutions will be considered.
The Scholarship is a prestigious award that will be made on a competitive basis, usually each year. In making awards, consideration will be given to:
- the quality, appropriateness and relevance of the proposed research;
- the academic record of the applicant; and
- a supporting statement from supervisors, peers or sponsors.
The monetary value and number of Scholarships awarded will be at the discretion of the Society Executive Committee, but usually one of up to $3500 will be awarded each year. Recipients will be encouraged to become members of the Society and present a paper about their research to one of the Society's conferences.
Applications should be made on the application form available below or from the secretary. The applicant should include:
- a statement describing the proposed research and the applicant's perceptions of the importance and relevance of the project,
- a supporting statement from the applicant's supervisor/mentor, and
- a copy of the applicant's academic record.
Applications must be received by the secretary by 1 October each year.
- 2012: Mette-Cecilie Nielson, Herath Mudiyanselage Anusara Mihirani
- 2011: Matthew Denton-Giles
- 2010: Damian Bienkowski, Blessy Pathrose
- 2009: Jeyaseelan Baskarethevan, Regina Billones
- 2008: Anastaija Chomic, Nicholas Tabi Amponsah
- 2007: Carolyn Bleach
- 2006: Michael Cripps
- 2005: Tara Murray, Naydene Barron
- 2004: None awarded
- 2003: Hazel Gatehouse
- 2002: Debra Gauntlett, Deborah Hackell
- 2001: Stuart Card
- 2000: Sean Bithell, Janet Seconi
- 1999: Brendan Murphy, Meredith McKay
- 1998: Joanna McQueen
- 1997: Diane Webster
- 1996: Adrian Antonov
- 1995: Richard McDowell
- 1994: Lynelle Eustace
- 1993: Carol Stewart
- 1992: Meredith Longley
- 1991: Tim Jenkins
- 1990: Brett Alexander
- 1989: Mark Braithwaite
- 1988: Katrina McCallum